The Various Problems of Cloud Computing
Even before the cloud came in, companies already had IT infrastructure in place. Cloud systems don't just integrate seamlessly with existing systems. In order to manage them, IT needs to get to know the cloud platforms. The good news is that most services usually offer tools that make Managing Cloud applications much easier.
That can make dealing with the problems that come with cloud computing a little easier, too. The main problems associated with various cloud computing applications and platforms include:
- ReliabilityWhat happens when a cloud computing service provider suddenly goes out of business? Or what if its system crashes? Both of these scenarios can leave its clients with limited access to their own data.
- OwnershipWho gets to own the data in the cloud? Is it the client or the service provider? Companies can lose ownership of part or all of the data they transfer to the cloud. This could create problems in terms of protecting customer data and privacy.
- SecurityThis is the top concern for most IT professionals because with cloud storage, there are so many access points involved. The weakest link is the vulnerability of data stored in the cloud, which may be exposed to hacking, theft or be stolen by unhappy or lax employees.
- Data BackupWith the use of redundant servers, cloud service providers have multiple copies of a company's data available. That's a good thing, but it also poses some additional risk in terms of security.
- Data PortabilityEven if the cloud provider does not go out of business, a company may still change providers for a variety of reasons. Would you be able to do so and easily transfer your data from one provider to another?
- Multi-Platform SupportWith different operating systems such as Linux, OS X and Windows, companies must consider just how seamlessly the cloud platforms would integrate into existing systems. This will help IT to better manage the new cloud system rather than looking for custom adaption.
- Intellectual PropertyIf you need to develop a new system that uses a part of your cloud infrastructure, will you still be able to patent it? Will the service provider claim any rights on your own invention? Those are questions companies must ask before they proceed.
Cloud computing systems suffer from the many of same problems that plague proprietary and in-house systems, plus a few of its own. The problem is that these problems are often out of IT's control, at least compared to the amount of control that can be exerted over in-house solutions.
Cloud Networking Solutions
Transform the enterprise network to accelerate applications, maintain enterprise security, lower costs and connect to clouds.
Business and consumer users expect fast, secure, and high-quality application and video experiences, regardless of location or device. Akamai Cloud Networking helps boost enterprise productivity by accelerating in-branch applications, reducing enterprise network costs, maintaining enterprise security and compliance, while successfully bringing the Internet and public clouds into the enterprise network.