Some strategies for extending the battery of a laptop care refer to hardware, i.e. the apparatus itself. Others, however, are related to the type of programs you use when you are away from the plug and how you navigate.
- The screens, the minimum brightness . The brightness of the screens involves a very high energy consumption, especially in the case of LCD backlit , so you should not have them at the highest level, even when you are in dark environments. An average value may be more than enough. If you stay in a place with different lighting, you should always choose the least dark.
- Use the touch cursor instead of a USB mouse . The USB mice , but sometimes they are more ergonomic, represent a significant battery consumption. It is preferable to use the cursor when you need to touch the notebook is turned over three hours and avoid USB ports connected to any peripheral. Although not lit, they represent consumption. The same applies to memory cards.
- Having cleared all possible connectivity options . Avoid the Bluetooth connection, due to their high consumption. It should also seek to take off the connector to wireless networks, unless you have to navigate. If you work on documents, it is advisable to have it off until you need to use. Then surfing and goes out again. The wireless connector is coupled with the display, the largest source of spending a laptop.
- Use wallpapers monotonous and dull colors . Wallpapers with a variety of shades and colorful consuming. The same applies to the images, which are considered complex graphics. If you are going to work offline, it is best to temporarily replace simple and dull backgrounds.
- Forcing the temporary off-screen. When you stop typing, takes a while until the display switches to "saving" power on and off, waiting for the user to restart their work. Ideally, you program the computer to make this time as short as possible.
- Avoid excessive heating . Should work on flat surfaces where the computer can be positioned so that the bottom vent unobstructed. Heat causes inefficient processor and forces you to consume additional battery for the same job.
- Working with simple programs . If you need to write or edit text, it's best to use TXT formats that Word or Open Office style. The reason is that they are very simple and have few options, so they consume less processor resources. This translates into a saving of battery. When the computer is plugged in again, the writings can be moved to more complex formats and finish editing the document. In particular, Open Office has a high consumption as it works on the Java platform.
- Avoid open documents in PDF . It is a very complex and costly in energy terms, program similar to other programs of the company Adobe. Should avoid opening a PDF document or leave it to the end of the day.
- Do not use image editors or video . The images and videos are graphic complexes generally energy intensive. The requirements of programs like Photoshop or similar pose a rapid decline in available energy. Such tasks should be undertaken only if it does not need to work long hours.
- No watch videos or play games . These two activities can consume a charged battery for five hours, at least two, and they are very demanding in terms of energy. If a video is required, it is preferable that is short and it is presented in small screen.
- Do not use the computer for music . We recommend using a device in place for this purpose or mobile.
- Avoid running programs that are not used at the time . It happens with Skype, instant messengers or other that start when the computer starts and remaining in the background. It is better to turn them off.
- Keep your computer clean of malware . Spending on fixed periods anti-spyware is the right way to optimize the energy efficiency of computer. Many can be downloaded free of charge on the Web.
- Avoid flash images and developments . It is preferable to navigate with a program that blocks flash images and advertisements, as Flashblock , because flash technology is a great source of consumption . We recommend browsing the pages with text only.
- Avoid pop-ups . Known as "pop ups" or pop-ups are a source of extra consumption should be avoided.
- No watch videos . Sites like Youtube or similar that allow downloading videos involve a high battery consumption.
- Do not have too many tabs open in the browser . It is advised to open them as needed and close them when they have already seen.
- Avoid video and voice calls over IP . Unless that's the purpose of computer use. These technologies are large consumers of battery.